I recently did some drawings of crab apples from my backyard tree. (see them here) I decided to do a painting too, since I just love the contrast in colors of yellow/green and red.
I started with a pencil sketch on a gessoed panel...
After the sketch, I sealed the drawing with a mix of turp. and damar varnish. (I'm trying that again, making sure to wipe off the excess better) Once it was dry, I colored in with thinned oil paint...and then, I put it up on my easel to finish. I added some more leaves to fill out the space better.
So, just trying something a little bit different. This is a canvas board that I added 3 or 4 extra coats of gesso to, and sanded it a bit. I sealed the dry gessoed surface with a mix of oderless mineral spirits and damar varnish. That dried fairly quickly and I began my painting. I thought I would do a sort of under painting and leave the details and color for another session. I was surprised to find, that my painting stayed moist for days on this surface, and I just kept going back to it whenever I had time. I added, scraped off, added again... until I was happy. I'm not sure how long this painting will take to dry completely. I don't think I'll do the coat of oms/damar again... even tho it made a nice surface to paint on. and I'm happy with the painting. I'm not sure about the slow drying time. We'll see how this one goes tho.
I took this picture after I had already painted on the board and scraped and wiped off what I had done and started again.
It's that time of the season, lots of flowers to pick, and these blackberries I found while out on a bike ride. I stopped to pick a hand full, and brought them home. I was disappointed, they were a little bitter... but still nice to add to my still life!
I started this one on a canvas panel that I primed with tinted gesso. I used thinned paint to begin with. (I had taken the basil out of the set up and set it in a glass of water to keep it from wilting)
I had taken a picture of the basil first, so as it changed position, I could just refer to the picture. I was surprised to find I had more trouble painting the lemon, than the basil. I thought it would be the other way around.
I began this painting with the cherries and little bowl, but decided it seemed a bit boring... and with a garden full of blooming flowers I should try and paint a few of them. So, I picked a couple daisies to add into the picture.
I've always wanted to paint a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I used to make them for my kids, and each time I would think how pretty the jelly was, and I'd notice the swirl designs in the peanut butter and how it might make a nice little painting. So, when I saw Abbey Ryan's DPW painting challenge, inviting others to paint a PB&J, I was excited!! Yes! I'm totally gonna do that! lol.... and so I made a pb&j but I like how the peices of bread look before putting them together in a sandwich. So, I set them up and took pictures from an over head view, and then made the sandwich,cut it, and took pictures of that... and decided I liked it better the first way I had it.
So, I quick printed out the picture I liked best, and used that to go by. And, I left my "deconstructed" sandwich out on the table, so I could still see the actual colors of the subject to paint by. There was only 1/2 a sandwich left then, I couldn't help but eat the other half! It looked and smelled so good, and I haven't eaten a peanut butter and jelly in ages! Yum! ... thanks Abbey for the challenge, what a treat it was!
my painting with the reference pic below it
...an extra piece of bread to get the color right
jelly on a new piece of bread to help
Oh, and just a side note... I discovered this painting will look just the same no matter which end is up...ie:
...although, my signature would be upside down...hmmm.
This dessert glass is very pretty, and has a sort of cut design in it. I bought it a couple years ago, because I thought it would be nice in a painting. I finally decided to give it a try. I don't know quite how to go about painting it,but I figure if I just copy the shapes and colors, it should turn out ok.
I first painted this glass of wine using fruit juice in the wine glass... but I decided to get some real wine instead. So, I picked out this pink Moscato because of the color. I don't know too much about wine, and I've never had Moscato before, so I tried it, and wow, is it sweet. Too sweet for me, but, I think it goes nicely with the fruit in this painting:-)
I cut this orange peel with a knife and it created this cool spiral shape. I didn't happen to take any pictures while I was painting, until close to the end... when the painting looks much like the finished version anyway. So, I'll post what my set up looked like.
Sometimes it takes so long to decide on something to paint. I bought these cherries and I wanted to paint them on a white cloth. but I could not get the cloth to fall in an interesting way no matter what I did. So, I tried a few different things and finally decided on this little espresso cup and grapes to go with them.
I started with a value sketch using acrylic raw umber, white and black on a gessoed panel. I let that dry and continued with oils.
...just for fun... I snapped this pic of my set up and the collection of discarded subject items beside it.
I always liked the way red and gray look together. The red just looks so pretty against the gray. I don't usually paint vegetables, and I don't remember ever painting garlic, so this was a good lesson for me. This was my second version of this painting, I didn't like the first (not shown), and changed things around. I was very happy with this one :-)