Monday, September 1, 2008

Orange on a Red Book

Above: the painting in progress.
Below: A picture of my set up
Oil on 8"x10" Canvas Board
It's been a little while since I've posted anything, and the reason is because I was sick for a few days. I did alot of sketching while I wasn't feeling well, but no painting. Now that I feel better, I thought I would paint something that I had sketched, but, none of those things appealed to me anymore, so I carefully peeled an orange, and set it on top of a red book. It's something I've been wanting to try. Plus, I like looking at my color wheel, and turning it to see all the color combinations it has to suggest. And if I put the window on yellow/orange, it points out the compliment, plus a bunch of other possible color schemes. So, I picked out the "triad": a color scheme with 3 colors equally spaced from each other. Orange, yellow and red. So, I'll try to stick with that for this painting. Really though, if I look at this color wheel long enough, with all it's color combinations, you can find a reason to put just about any colors together in a painting, and have them work. It's just a nice way to help visualize them first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!