Monday, February 16, 2009

Origami Bird 5"x5" o/b


I like the shapes and shadows that folded paper creates. Sometimes I like to just fold a piece of paper into an abstract shape, and use it to practice sketching. The subtle value changes on white paper and the cast shadows are fun to try to recreate. So, I thought I would try to paint a picture of this paper bird. It took many tries before I finally started to see the painting match what I had imagined it to look like. I'm not sure if I might have second thoughts about it, and want to change it again, but for now I'll post this version. :-)

5 comments:

  1. It has a wonderful softness Debbie. My nephew loves to fold this particular origami bird. What a neat idea for a painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mona, o/b just stands for oil on board.
    I have since changed this painting, thinking it needed a darker background, and after that,I put more of the bird in shadow, then I decided I didn't like it, and wiped it all off! I really like this subject though, and I plan to try it again. Thanks for all of your comments, I really appreciate them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you didn't trust yourself. This was wonderful and I like the feel of a study in whites. So hard to do and this was a wonderful example and great subject to do it with. You really should do it again and it will be even better. I agree with Mona in the it is a great idea for a painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Marilyn for all of your comments, you really cheered me up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!