Saturday, November 14, 2009
Oil on 5"x7" hardboard panel
I started this painting earlier in the week, and never got back to finish it until today. The orange I had cut up was still sitting on display, starting to mold. I'm glad I waited to finish it, because I never was quite happy with the background color, but I didn't know why. Today, seeing it again after a few days had gone by, I could see why. The background color was too warm, too similar to the oranges, I thought mixing up a color with more blue in it might look better. I spread a bit of the new color on with a palette knife, and liked the color and also, it seemed to make the orange look brighter. I found that the texture the knife left in the paint was interesting, too, as it left the color underneath showing through here and there. I brushed it out a touch, and had to struggle to make myself leave it alone! I just have a habit of "petting" the paint with the brush, and sometimes too much of that makes for a boring surface.