Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Paper Cutting

Every so often I see an artist that does paper cutting, or "scherenschnitte".  I find it fascinating, and I get inspired to try it.   I have some silhouette paper, which is paper that is black on one side and white on the other.  And also, some parchment paper.  I don't know if there is a proper way to go about this art, but I suppose there isn't one certain way to do it.  Last year I used the parchment paper to cut a Christmas tree design, and put black behind it.  This time,  I decided to cut a design out of the black paper, and have the parchment behind it. 
I drew a design on tracing paper, and transfered it to the white side of the black paper.


drawing design
cutting with an x-acto knife on a cutting mat.
This what it looked like on the right side
 What I like best about crafts like this is that it isn't messy, there's almost nothing to clean up, and you can leave it and come back any time.  And it's very relaxing. 
Here it is, finished with the parchment paper behind it.  It's about 6x8 inches.  I was tempted to color in some of the spaces with watercolor, but I thought it might be better this way, simple.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!