Saturday, September 13, 2014

"Acorns and a Mineola" Oil on 5x7 inch canvas board



So, just trying something a little bit different.  This is a canvas board that I added 3 or 4 extra coats of gesso to, and sanded it a bit.  I sealed the dry gessoed surface with a mix of oderless mineral spirits and damar varnish.  That dried fairly quickly and I began my painting.  I thought I would do a sort of under painting and leave the details and color for another session.  I was surprised to find, that my painting stayed moist for days on this surface, and I just kept going back to it whenever I had time.  I added, scraped off, added again... until I was happy.  I'm not sure how long this painting will take to dry completely.  I don't think I'll do the coat of oms/damar again... even tho it made a nice surface to paint on. and I'm happy with the painting.   I'm not sure about the slow drying time.  We'll see how this one goes tho.

                                 
                                         
I took this picture after I had already painted on the board and scraped and wiped off what I had done and started again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!