Sunday, December 7, 2008

Making progress...


I've been playing around with this painting for about 3 days. It has taken me that long, to figure out what was bothering me about it. I finally darkened the background, and all of a sudden it looked better. The color I used there, was a mix of prussian blue, yellow, and transparent earth red, with white to lighten it. I really liked the greenish reddish brown it made. I learned alot while experimenting with this painting. I learned to remember to hint at a shape rather than try and draw it perfectly, like the top of the cup. The perfect detail of that elipse shape isn't seen anyway. It's just that my brain knows it's there, and wants to draw it that way. I catch myself doing that so often! I also learned that scraping paint off rather than trying to fix things is best, so I should just do it and get it over with! And, that my ability to discern values needs alot of work, it's like pulling teeth to get myself to darken things as dark as they should be. The only way to learn these things and to get better is to practice painting. So, that's what I'll be doing every chance I get....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!