Thursday, January 22, 2009

"Bananas and Red Grapes" 8"x6" Oil on Canvas Panel


Here is the finished painting, and I really like this one! I had a pleasant time painting it, I didn't change my mind about anything 1/2 way into it like I usually do, and I liked the canvas texture for a change from the smooth hard panels I've been using. I like the smooth panels too, I just think it's nice to change once and a while. I feel like I paint differently on different surfaces. Just the same way as I draw or write differently depending on what kind of pen, or pencil I'm using. It's nothing I do on purpose, it just turns out different all on it's own.

I had posed these bananas and grapes a few different ways, and to help me decide which way I liked best, I took a picture of each different set up. The pictures helped me to remember each of the different ways I had positioned the fruit. Then I could look at them all at once on my monitor, and pick the one I liked best. Then,I set my fruit up that way, and painted it from life.

2 comments:

  1. Your paintings are 1000 percent beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie, Nice idea to place the grape cluster atop the bananas.

    It's interesting for me to hear about your still-life set-up process. I am doing something very similar myself, and I agree with you--- it is a good way of developing a pleasing composition. Also am enjoying how you have been showing a work in progress on your easel, prior to showing the finished piece.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!