I thought I would like to try a different process with this one to get a more detailed look. I go back and forth between wanting to do something with a bit looser feel and something more detailed. I started on a toned gray canvas board, with a drawing and an underpainting. I used black, terra rosa and a little white painted thinly. It was nice to start this way, because I wouldn't have had time to do a complete painting. Then during the next couple of days while I had to work, it was a good feeling knowing I had something started that I could look forward to finishing when I got the time.
It was dry when I got back to it, and I started painting in with thicker paint.
I was near the finish when I thought that all the empty white space of the ace card needed a change. I thought to bend the card to make more interesting shapes there.
I liked the triangle shaped shadow it created. It interfered with the stem though, so I wound up turning the stem in the other direction.
Note: The painting is signed with my initials, it isn't in the photo because I signed it after I took the pictures. It took so long to get a good image, I didn't want to re take them :)