Wednesday, October 1, 2008

It's been quite a few days since my last post, but I just couldn't seem to get much accomplished these last few days. I started a painting of an apple on a cloth, and wasn't happy with the colors I used to paint the white cloth, so I changed that, then I wasn't happy with the apple, and changed to a different apple... etc... so, I finally finished it, and I'm happy with it, but can't seem to get a good picture. I like to take pictures outside in the natural light, but it's been raining here for the last few days!!! so I haven't been able to take any pictures. I started a couple of other small paintings. Nothing I was happy with.... I think sometimes I just temporarily lose touch with that thing that does the painting, and I'm left trying to do it on my own.. at least, that's what it feels like. Do you ever look back at a really nice painting or drawing, and say - how did I do that????
Why can't I do it again now????? I'd really like to be able to be more consistent. or maybe that never happens?????

3 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie,
    I can soooo relate to what you are saying, on a number of fronts. I also like to photograph my work outdoors, and I always have problems getting a good pic when its raining outside. There's either insufficient lighting without a flash, or the incandescent light is too warm, etc., etc. I just wait it out. But for little pieces, I know some artists have had success either with a good scanner or with one of those mini photo studios you get from the art supply stores.

    On your other note, I don't think there is an artist around who doesn't feel the way you've described at some point or the other. I like to think those magical paintings that "paint themselves" are like little glimpses into my artistic future. They give me hope, even if the next one I create falls flat.

    And you know, each time you make that magic, you've just raised the bar a little higher for yourself and for your next painting. So you really have to give yourself a break too. In any event, I think the "duds" are there to help us to learn what we need to do to the next time to create the magic more intentionally. "To make the known the unknown", so to speak. Any way, it's all progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie,
    I haven't been able to accomplish anything since last weekend and am feeling very anxious in general. My computer is giving me fits and my internet connection on my personal computer has not worked for a month and everything for two days has been uphill. I think the election and economy issues are distracting me, but maybe it's like Jennifer says, we all go through these phases in our creative journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, thanks for all the advice, I certainly appreciate it. and thanks for the suggestions about using a scanner or a "mini photo studio" It never occured to me to try a scanner! I'll have to experiment.
    Marilyn, I feel the same way, I guess we all have our good art days and not so good art days, or weeks... it passes. Usually I try to look at some of my favorite artbooks or a new art magazine to get inspired again, or just doing some simple drawing exercises, and sketches to get me warmed back up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!